Net Zero. You might be hearing a lot of discussion about it but aren’t exactly sure what it means or how you can contribute to achieving it. Essentially, Net Zero refers to a state in which the greenhouse gases going into the atmosphere are balanced by the removal out of the atmosphere—an internationally recognized goal by the IPCC (the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change)—to mitigate global warming and avoid the worst impacts of climate change.
As part of its AMC150 strategic vision, AMC has pledged to become Net Zero in greenhouse gas emissions no later than 2050, and to reduce our emissions 45 percent from 2010 levels by 2030. Despite our progress over last two decades, meeting our updated net zero goal will remain a significant challenge. Our current efforts are focused on reducing emissions from our operations, raising public awareness, and inspiring others to lower their carbon footprints.
If you’re wondering how this will affect you and how can you contribute to helping AMC achieve this lofty goal, we reached out to our research fellow, Arcadia Lee, for some recommendations.
How will Net Zero effect my experience as a guest at an AMC location?
- Our latest improvements and advancements in building comfort will provide better temperature control, making buildings and lodging less drafty and keep a balance between being too hot or too cold. Through improved weatherization, “passive solar” design elements, motion activated lighting, and individual heat controls, we can reduce energy used in buildings, increase comfort, and give guests more control over their environment.
- The installation of electric charging stations at various locations will offer more green transportation options, allowing guests the ability to drive electric vehicles to our facilities.
- Our commitment to reach Net Zero provides you with confidence and peace of mind that AMC is working to bring you a more sustainable and eco-friendly lodging experience.
- Providing you with access to education materials on our efforts as a guide to helping you achieve similar goals at home.
What can you do to support AMC’s Net Zero Strategy and reduce your own carbon footprint?
- Whenever possible, opt to use public transportation or carpool instead.
- Practice energy conservation at our facilities and at home by turning out lights when not using, making sure windows and doors are fully shut, and avoid idling in your vehicle.
- Buy less STUFF! Arcadia recommends that you don’t “buy” into consumer culture and avoid adding waste to landfills. This could be the single most important thing you can do!
We hope this has provided you with some useful information re: what Net Zero means, our commitment to achieving it, and how you can help both us and yourself reduce greenhouse gasses and mitigate the effects of climate change.
If you’d like to read more, check out AMC’s carbon footprint presentation and learn about the steps AMC is taking to reduce emissions.